J. R. R. Tolkien was a believer in the inherent goodness of man, so it is no surprise that The Hobbit and the The Lord of the Rings trilogy are filled with lessons to be learned about friendship, loyalty, and life in general. That’s why HGSG is glad to be able to give away a copy of Hobbit Lessons: A Map for Life’s Unexpected Journeys to one of our loyal geeks. (Check out a Kindle sample here)
“Millions of fans worldwide have been attracted to The Hobbit for its unique combination of high adventure and profound truths. Tapping the excitement around the highly-anticipated second installment of The Hobbit movie trilogy, The Desolation of Smaug, Tolkien-scholar, Devin Brown, presents a fast-paced and easy-to-follow presentation of timeless lessons to help navigate life’s journey. Peppered with illustrations throughout, Hobbit Lessons: A Map for Life’s Unexpected Journeys (Abingdon Press) offers a collection of tangible bites of wisdom that are not only deeply moving but also great fun.
Devin Brown teases out the wisdom that Tolkien has woven into his timeless story in a way that becomes a story in itself. We learn what it means to join together with friends on a mutual quest, not to be overly fond of certain things even as we learn to see the priceless value of others, and to recognize our own place in the wide world and where it is that we truly belong. For those new to The Hobbit or long-time fans, Hobbit Lessons will bring the book alive in a new way and provide life lessons about loyalty, selflessness, friendship, and dedication—lessons as precious as a golden ring.
Chapter titles include:
- When Adventure Comes Knocking, Let It In (Despite the Fact It May Make You Late for Dinner)
- Live Courageously (Even if—Especially if—Part of You Says Not To)
- Be Fond of Waistcoats, Second Breakfasts, Pocket Handkerchiefs, and Four O’Clock Tea (But Don’t Let Them Become Too Precious)
- Have your Friends’ Backs (Someone Has Yours)
- Beware—Not All That Glitters Is Gold (And Even Gold Is Not the Treasure You Think)
- Remember—Not All That Is Gold Glitters (In Fact, Life’s Real Treasures Are Quite Ordinary Looking)
- Recognize You Are Only a Little Fellow in a Wide World (But Still an Important Part of a Larger Story)
- Find the Enchantment All Around You (Even if You Are Not a Wizard)”
All you need to do is click below to reveal the Rafflecopter and get started!